Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Paton

Paton was the town that was near the farm in Iowa. As children for us it was the town where Grandma and Grandpa lived. As dad says in this card it was clean and small. I think there were a couple of churches. I remember our grandparents house there, not real big but it had a couple of rooms upstairs and a kitchen and a mudroom and a front porch and a livingroom with a piano where Grandma taught our cousins how to play. Grandma and Grandpa moved there when Charles got married and he started to run the farm. Grandpa still owned part of the farm and would go out there to help or to look around. My Aunt Betty said her 4 kids would just follow him around the farm as he looked in on everything.
I haven't been there in over 20 years so I'm sure the town and the farmlands look different now. When I read the Omnivores Dilemma I recognized the county he visited in Iowa as Jefferson County where the Aldrich farm was, it sure sounded different in his book.

No comments:

Post a Comment