Sunday, October 10, 2010

Prunes and elections

Dad is still figuring out how to make money from picking prunes in 1943 and we are getting ready for an election in a few weeks. I keep being hopeful that the people with some sense will go to the polls. We had a young man stop by checking up on the worker who claimed they had come by our door. The ability of people in this country to choose against their own interests is amazing. I am glad that our congressman still has a chance, even though I do not agree with a lot of his views he has worked hard for the district, the first democrat to hold it in 28 years.
It is interesting in his letters to see Dad refer to himself as lazy. As an older person I never heard him say such a thing. I think once we have kids it just becomes impossible to be lazy. I think our family tends toward enjoying work but not having it run our lives.