Sunday, December 18, 2011

June 3, 1944

6/3/44 Dear family, Say! My family must be all home but me now! I’ll bet that sort of fills the place up. Do they make lots of noise? I remember what a din used to reign when we were all small and use to scrap and run from one end of the house to the other. Do you suppose you will ever get back into the old groove Dad, of listening to Fred Allen then writing to me while the hour of Charm is on? Tell Henry I hooked Our radio up and all I got was a howl. I shall get on of the radio guys to pry into it soon. You hope I enjoyed me stay. You bet your boots I did !! I guess I enjoyed it so much that I didn’t think of saying much about it. I though it was about the right length too. I reckon that youn’s are in the fields by now or nearly. It looks like it should quit raining sme time. I was in good shape when I got back to camp. I reached here about 5 that afternoon. Sat. Just 27 days furlo. My pal out here in the office that was trying to get reservations said he got turned down on some others and figured that they had gone to giving the streemliner to Military men before the date to open it to the public and then there wasn’t much room left. I suspect there are quite a few officers moving west. I suspect that some of the western armu camps have been cleaned out and sent across. I know that the camp up here by Salem has been emptied. I wish they would say what they are doing so a guy could make plans accordingly. He got turned down on one guy that he ordered for on the first day they were open. So there must be a colored gentleman around some where. Oh well, I didn’t do bad. It only took me about 16 hours more on the road. I would have started at 11 at night instead of 5 in the morning. That darn train ran late till we were nearly here then it made up time till we were only 15 min. late. I’m sending a box of books home that I have aqumulated. I’m getting tired of storing them and somebody there may like to read some of them. One of them is Living Prayerfully by Kirby Page. I thought it was good and you may want to use it for a devotional book. That is what it was written for but it reads well too. I fooled around about my voting business and never did anything about it. In some states an out of state voter has to vote in the primary to qualify to vote in the fall election. Dad, who should I write to to find out what the score in in Iowa on such things. I don’t know, maybe you could find out more by asking one of those guys over there. Of course they would want to know what I was doing out here. And if I wrote them they would just assume I was working out here which I am, but under the orders of Selective Service. What’s your advice? I’m not particular whether I vote in the june primary. I don’t know who is running for stuff. I havn’t followed it as much as a good citizen should, but I am doing better than I used to. I want to vote to get in the habit I guess. I really think I should too. What can you do to help me? Harry don’t need to think that because he is happily in love he don’t need to write to me at all. Maybe not so often but I’d like one once in a while. All of Warrens brothers write to him I think. At least more of them that mine do. Evelyn is almost as bad as Charles. I think it is good for people to write to people. Besides that isn’t a bad way to learn to type. I’m using a new system in my letter writing. I’m getting up at 5:30 and writing a letter before breakfast. It is quite and I make good time. Love and stuff to all Bernard

No comments:

Post a Comment