Sunday, June 12, 2011

January 14, 1944

1/14/44

Dear folks,

There isn’t much to tell in this letter it is so close to the last one, but I like to answer them as they come or I find it hard to do it.

I’ll be sorry that I didn’t double space this one. I forgot to change the typewriter. Do you remember my telling you about a guy from Iowa that used to work with me in the shop? Well, he went to Portland to take a timbercurising job while I was on furlough last May. He has been down here working in the shop yesterday and today on a gaget that he has designed to help compute the price of timber after they get certain figures from the crusing. They had some gagets something like this only they weren’t as handy as the one he has planned. They want four and we are making 2 and then I’ll make the last after he is gone. The gaget is nicknamed “the squirrel cage” it looks something like a long squirl cage. It has a cylinder that has a lot of figures on it and you turn it around till something or other lines up and there is your answer. That’s all I know about it.

There are a few things you mentioned in this last letter that I’m glad to hear, I’ll put them all in this paragraph. That Harry got a job and place to stay and seems to be going to get a better one. A better job I mean or was that what it meant when you said he was going to be transferred to the sausage dept. Also that you got to go down to see Grandma on her 71st birthday. I didn’t realize that she was that old. Also glad that youns are having June Hasley over for a weekend. June is a good kid. We used to write pretty regularly but since she has been teaching I guess she has been to busy, I don’t hear from her as much as I did. There, I guess that takes care of that.

Thanks for the bucks, I bet I use them.

We are still having good weather here, that is it doesn’t rain all the time. The weather is the last thing.

So long

Yours
Bernard
P. S. If I’d doublespaced this you’d have though you were getting a lot more.

No comments:

Post a Comment